Thank YOU!

Thank you for the gift of your time today. My prayer is each time you stop to visit you are blessed with truth, and encouraged to keep going ~ one foot in front of the other, chin up ~ simply because you've been reminded you are on the road to VICTORY!

Friday, November 7, 2014

Lightbulb Moment - What's Your Name?

Normally on Thursdays (except the month of October) I post what I call a Lightbulb Moment.  It’s a short little story about something that’s recently caused me to throw my hands in the air, exclaiming, “Aha!  Wow, Jesus, that’s pretty cool!”

Through October, I posted various aspects of my testimony – my journey with Jesus, which I most affectionately refer to as an adventure.  Yesterday I shared a pivotal moment on my journey; I received a new name.  Pioneer!

As I share this interesting testimony with people, I generally receive one of two responses - excitement or skepticism.  Initially, I thrived on the excitement while my feelings were hurt by the skeptics. 

Actually I'm learning to be grateful for both; learning to share my testimony of God’s heart altering work in me regardless of the response.  You see, this is just another area in which Holy Spirit is highlighting my people-pleasing, perfectionist tendencies. 

                            Sharing my testimony is not 
                           about getting a right response; 
                           it’s about glorifying my Savior!

For those who get excited about the possibility of receiving a new name, it is my delight and pleasure to share Scripture (Revelation 2:17, Isaiah 62:2, and 43:1 & 7) encouraging them to ask and receive from the LORD.  On occasion, I’ve had opportunity to pray with a dear child of God as they have heard for themselves Father calling them by their own new name.  What a thrill!

Perhaps, though, I am most thankful for the skeptics, the kind-hearted questioners.  Those who ask great questions in love and gentleness ( the Bereans), in turn challenge me to search Scripture, to pray and seek Father in His Throne Room.

More than thrills (though I whole-heartedly admit I love the excitement) I want to "no longer be (a child), tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes."
(Ephesians 4:14)

I have no desire to be influenced by the latest spiritual craze.  Truthfully, the reverence I have for Father, His Majesty and Kingship, causes me to tremble at the idea of straying down a deceptive trail should anyone follow me and stumble.

Aha!  

A big part of the adventure journey with Jesus is exploration and discovery, which is exciting; however, it also requires study, and some tenacity to follow Jesus Christ.

"Rather, speaking the truth in love, (I am)we are to grow up in every way into Him Who is the head, into Christ, from Whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, make the body grow so that it builds itself up in love."  (Ephesians 4:15-16)

So, I have asked Father for His truth regarding names and I have been digging through His Word of truth.    Holy Spirit has illuminated for me examples of people historically recorded in the Old and the New Testaments; people who received a new name from God.

Aha!

Here are just a few.  I wonder if you will find others as you ask Father and search His Word.  So exciting...and foundational!

Abram was called Abraham, father of nations.  
No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.  (Genesis 17:5)

Jacob was called Israel.  
Then He said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed."  (Genesis 32:28)

Gideon was called Man of Valor or Mighty Warrior.  
And the angel of the LORD appeared to him and said to him, "The LORD is with you, O mighty man of valor."  (Judges 6:12)

Simon Bar-Jonah was called Peter, the Rock.  
And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah!  For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.  And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  (Matthew 16:17-18)

John was called Loved.  
One of his disciples, who Jesus loved, was reclining at the table at Jesus' side, (John 13:23)

Who do you know who has been called by a new name?  

How are encouraged by the truth God calls His children by His name?
  
What happens to your faith to think Father has His own name of love for you?

Blessings of GREAT JOY on your amazing adventure journey with Jesus!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment