Thank YOU!

Thank you for the gift of your time today. My prayer is each time you stop to visit you are blessed with truth, and encouraged to keep going ~ one foot in front of the other, chin up ~ simply because you've been reminded you are on the road to VICTORY!

Thursday, December 19, 2013

This Week's Lightbulb Moment

Not everyone knows what I know.

Hold on, please, before you think me arrogant.  Let me explain...

When I began my first professional job out of college, one overarching rule was continually preached.  Don't assume; you'll make an ass out of u and me!  Lest I assume everyone has heard this advice, ass/u/me, get it?

Thirty years later, I've not forgotten the lesson, and thirty years later I can agree; it is true, I've proven it a time or two myself.

A week ago, my husband and I hosted a Christmas party.  As an ice breaker - conversation starter, we greeted everyone at the door with a sticker, which we placed on our guest's back.  On each sticker was written the name of a character from a Christmas movie.  We selected characters from four well known (or so I assumed) Christmas movies.  Through conversation with other guests, each person tried to guess "their character".  Once successful the sticker was moved to their chest.

I was sure our choices of characters and movies were so simplistic; that is until person after person (pointing at an other's back) would say to me, "I don't know that character.  What movie are they from?"  I was so shocked and disappointed, though much conversation was created.  I mean, who doesn't know Mary Bailey, Violet, Mr. Fezziwig, Bob Cratchit or Cindy Lou Who?  Apparently, quite a few.  Anyway, no one called me a "you know what", and in the long run the game served it's purpose!

Cleaning up after the party, I was reminded (lightbulb), not everyone knows what I know.  I was also reminded of a story my dad told me years ago.  He, along with mom, and some friends were discussing the funny looking guy with the rainbow wig who kept popping up at football games holding a sign which read 'John 3:16'. One lady spoke up, "What does that mean anyway?".  My dad,
assuming everyone knew what he knew, laughed and said, "Everyone knows John 3:16!"  Silence...she, and perhaps others at the table, didn't know.  My dad felt like a "you know what"!

Lest I assume everyone knows what I know, John 3:16 means this... God so loved the world (us, the people in the world) He gave His one and only Son (Jesus) so that whoever (everyone who, including you and me) believes in Him (proclaims He is the Son of God) will not be condemned, but have eternal LIFE with Him.


This is good news...
if you know it like I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment