Thank YOU!

Thank you for the gift of your time today. My prayer is each time you stop to visit you are blessed with truth, and encouraged to keep going ~ one foot in front of the other, chin up ~ simply because you've been reminded you are on the road to VICTORY!

Friday, December 27, 2013

This Week's Lightbulb Moment

How will we know we need a Savior unless we need saving?
Who me?

Particular events have a way of marking our lives.  One such event occurred in my life both figuratively and literally.  I was a tender age, and tender-hearted; though with a mind of my own and a strong will to match.


Do not despise the Lord's instruction, my (daughter), and do not loathe His discipline; for the Lord disciplines the one He loves, just as a (mother), the (daughter she) delights in. 
(Proverbs 3:11-12 HCSB)


As I remember, I was sitting on the floor in my brother's room watching Gilligan's Island on TV.  To keep my hands busy while watching the show, I tossed a kick ball in the air repeatedly.  At some point my mom walked by and said, "Don't throw that ball in the house, you're going to break something!"  (Did you just chuckle?)


You guessed it!  As soon as my mom turned the corner out of sight, I tossed the ball in the air just one more time to prove 'nothing bad' would happen, and WHAMO, the ball hit the glass ceiling light. (Visualize a slow motion movie scene)
As I heard the glass shatter, I jumped up and behind my brother's bed.

Caught...stuck...barefoot...a small piece of glass in my thigh...hurt...crying...embarrassed...sorrowful...


And who was there to rescue me?  Mom, of course! 
Wearing shoes she walked across the glass, picked me up and carried me to safety, cleaned me up, bandaged my wounded leg, wiped my tears, and probably asked me if I understood why she didn't want me to toss the ball in the house.

I understood...she wasn't trying to take my fun away, she was trying to preserve my peace and protect me from dangerous, hurtful, even life-threatening circumstances.  

And so...the love of the Father...
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are! 
(I John 3:1 NIV)

Our (parents) disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His Holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.  (Hebrews 12:10-11 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment