Thank YOU!

Thank you for the gift of your time today. My prayer is each time you stop to visit you are blessed with truth, and encouraged to keep going ~ one foot in front of the other, chin up ~ simply because you've been reminded you are on the road to VICTORY!

Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 17 - Toward Discipline*Adventure*Journeying with Jesus*

"You can't live on yesterday's manna"


The LORD said to Moses, "I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites.  Tell them, 'At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread.  Then you will know that I am the LORD your GOD.'"

Then Moses said to them (Israelites), "No one is to keep any of it (manna) until morning." However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell.  So Moses was angry with them.
Exodus 16:11-12 & 19-20


I'm still pondering these words; the words I heard yesterday in my spirit, whispered from Father, in the dawning of a new day.  He was correcting me; teaching me a better way.  At 51, I'm finally beginning to understand Father's correction as an act of love....love for me....His daughter...adopted into His family....chosen, beloved, accepted and redeemed.

It really was not until I became a Mom that I began to glimpse correction as an act of love.  Through the continual teaching, correcting, and disciplining of our two "seeds", which sprang from my great love (imperfect as it is) for them; Father has been continually redeeming my concept of His discipline in my life!

At this mile marker on my journey with Jesus, I cherish these words of truth:


"My (daughter) son, do not make light of the
     Lord's discipline,
  and do not lose heart when He 
     rebukes you, 
  because  the Lord disciplines those He
     loves, 
  and He punishes everyone He accepts
     as a (daughter) son.
  Hebrews 12:5-6

I am today reminded of a scenario played out similarly (but not identically) between me and each of our two "seeds" - on two different occasions - two years apart. 

College freshman orientation illustrates the point.  With each one, we picked the weekend, made our reservation, and I read the directions - they did not!

The day before our adventure began I asked our "seed" if he had everything he needed for orientation. "Yes, mom!", was the response bearing just the slightest hint of irritation.  "So, you're all packed?", I asked just to find some assurance.  "Yes, mom!", irritation escalating a tad.

At our time of departure, I packed my small suitcase and book bag in the car.  Our "seed" arrived at the car carrying only a book bag.  I reminded him this was an overnight stay.  "I know, Mom!"  Just trying to be helpful I asked, "Did you bring your toothbrush, toothpaste, etc?  This isn't a hotel so you'll need to bring your own."  "Yes, Mom.  Can we go?"

Sensing my advice and wisdom were not appreciated, I replied, "Sure, but don't you want to take a pillow and sleeping bag, at least?"  At this point, we had reached the response of total frustration, "I'm fine!  I'll be fine!  Can we just go already?"

(I promise this happened with each seed!)

I knew, with a fair amount of certainty, he was going to regret his lack of preparation and provision.  And yet, he did not want to hear my suggestions, heed my warnings or stop for corrective action.  As his mother, full of love, I had no choice, but to allow him to learn from his choices.

So, we arrived at college orientation, several hours from home.  There were soon-to-be-college-freshmen in every direction disembarking with suitcases, pillows and sleeping bags, and then there was my "seed" pulling over his shoulder his one book bag for his first night of dorm dwelling.  I waved goodbye, and he nodded, "I'll see you in the morning."

I reassured myself...it was only a night, no big deal really.  True, except my mother heart twisted as I watched him go off to spend the night - mostly unprepared.  

The instruction sheet admonished students to bring twin sheets or a sleeping bag and their own pillow.  My "seed" had none of the above, and most assuredly was in for a rather uncomfortable first dorm experience.  


I admonished myself, "Ok, self, while he might return a little worse for wear the next day; he will survive a night without cover and pillow.  Oh, and remember, he did bring this on himself."  

I drove to the hotel where I had a reservation, and rather enjoyed the evening with almost all the amenities of home.

The next morning I arrived back at the dorm, waiting in a line of cars while young men and women packed their suitcases and such back into their parents' cars.  I could see my "seed" up ahead, book bag on shoulders, hair askew, bleary eyed from a lack of sleep.  As he tumbled into the car seeking warmth and possibly a dose of mom-tenderness, I asked, "So, how was your night?"

Without even a glance in my direction, I heard a weary voice, "You were right, mom.  I should have brought a sleeping bag and pillow.  I was so cold laying on the bare plastic mattress, I couldn't sleep!  Oh, and a towel for a shower would have been a good idea too." Now understanding my good intentions and advice offered in love, we headed for breakfast.



 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11

That's our Father...Who perfectly loves and perfectly disciplines for our good and for His Glory!


Blessings of GREATEST JOY on this amazing adventure journey with Jesus toward discipline, 
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment