Thank YOU!

Thank you for the gift of your time today. My prayer is each time you stop to visit you are blessed with truth, and encouraged to keep going ~ one foot in front of the other, chin up ~ simply because you've been reminded you are on the road to VICTORY!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 27 - The Worst Vow I Ever Made*Adventure*Journeying with Jesus*

The worst vow I ever made came tumbling from my lips in a moment of anger and frustration toward my husband (STFM).  At the time, he was quite frustrated with me as well.
May 21, 1988

We were probably within the first year to eighteen months of marriage, so in the marital bliss department, we were still pretty green.  And then, as if marriage were not a big enough adjustment, we had already experienced job change, moving out of state, and the purchase of our first home.

As I described previously, Day 21, I am a recovering passive-aggressive people-pleaser. Suffice it to say, I'm much more recovered today than I was 25 years ago. So, in the beginning, anytime STFM hurt my feelings, argued with me or didn't take my side on an issue, I ran to the master bedroom closet, sat in the dark and cried my eyes out.

Of course, passive-aggressive ran to the closet expecting STFM to follow after, wrap her in his arms, console, and then give her what she wanted.  I thought this was how it was supposed to work.  It works this way in romantic chick flicks, right?


May 21, 2013
Well, STFM was (and still is) not a fan of drama nor was he sympathetic to tears.  As a leading man, I believe STFM would give Clark Gable, as Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind, a run for his money.  Frankly, my dear, he did not give a hoot!

All these years later I have no idea what caused such a fuss.  The details of our conflict are long lost, which indicates the trivial nature of our disagreement.  

On this particular day, however, my typical pattern of crying in the closet was met with a rapid response from STFM.  He did chase after me this time, and when he found me on the floor in the closet, he stated emphatically something to the effect of:


You need to dry it up.  You can't just run and cry every time we disagree or anytime you don't get your way!

Oh!  Well now, those to me were fightin' words!  No longer was I sad and desiring consolation.  I.Was.Mad.  So, I looked my young groom square in the eye and vowed, 
"Fine, you'll never see me cry again!"


The worst vow I ever made, but that's not the end of the story.

This is what the LORD commands:  When a man makes a vow to the LORD or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word, but must do everything he said."  Numbers 30:1-2

Blessings of GREAT JOY on your amazing adventure journey with Jesus!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment